LJ Speech - English audio database
LJ Speech base for improving English vocabulary and grammar skills consists of 13,100 short audio clips of a single speaker reading passages from 7 English non-fiction books. Clips have a total length of approximately 24 hours. These texts contain 225,715 words and they were published between 1884 and 1964. This base consists of excerpts from the following works:
- Morris, William, et al. Arts and Crafts Essays. 1893.
- Griffiths, Arthur. The Chronicles of Newgate, Vol. 2. 1884.
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. The Fireside Chats of Franklin Delano Roosevelt. 1933-42.
- Harland, Marion. Marion Harland's Cookery for Beginners. 1893.
- Rolt-Wheeler, Francis. The Science - History of the Universe, Vol. 5: Biology. 1910.
- Banks, Edgar J. The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. 1916.
- President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy. Report of the President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy. 1964.
How to use
- In the text field, type in the word(s) of interest.
- Choose the language pair from the drop-down list. The list consists of the original language and the translation language.
- Click the submit button.
- The page will display a set of proposals in the target language with the addition of translation words and phrases.
- To see the syntactic structure, hover over or click on the highlighted word or phrase, and the structure will be displayed.